Oslo has a dramatic history. The first ca. 600 years of its life can today only be seen as a few ruins, after the town was moved in 1624 from the its original site since the second half of the 10th century, to its present location on the other side of the bay. Our tour therefore focuses on the period from early 17th to early 20th century history and architecture. However, a visit to the “Medieval Park” can be added to this tour, or to a tour of the Bjørvika waterfront development, which is adjacent to the medieval ruins

The reason for rebuiding the town, was to have it closer to Akershus Castle, so that it could be protected by the fortress. This was ordered by king Christian IV, who also lent his name to the new town, thus called Christiania until 1924, when its original name was restored. Our tour starts at the old market place, Christiania Torv, where some of Oslos’s oldest buildings are preserved. From here we walk to Akershus Castle, past the old Bank of Norway, where today the Museum of Architecture is located. An inside visit of the museum is possible, but this will add some time to the schedule. The bank, from 1830, was one of the first of a series of national institutions, after the breakup of the union with Denmark in 1814, when Christiania assumed the functions of a capital city. The building was restored and a new pavillion added in 2009, one of the last works of arch. Sverre Fehn, Norway’s only Pritzker Prize winning architect.

We walk around the medieval Akershus Castle, which was built ca. 1300, though much altered and extended into a large fortress in the following centuries. We then move into the so-called “Kvadratur”, the 17th century city with its regular grid of streets. Here we see the contrast between the few remaining houses from the 16- and 1700s, and the buildings that replaced them in the boom-time of the 1890s, the so-called “commercial palaces” with exclusively shopping and office functions, pushing the residential function out of the city center. We also see some transformation projects, like the former main post office from the 1920s, which now has been rebuilt into flats and commercial space.

Oslo’s main street, Karl Johan gate, is at the northern end of the original city layout. Along this 1,5 km long street, from the old East Railway Station to the Royal Palace in the west, several national institutions are located. We see the Cathedral of Oslo (1697) and surrounding market halls from the 1850s. This is a nice place for a coffebreak.

Further up the street we pass the Horngården, Oslo’s first “high-rise” building from 1930, by arch. Lars Backer, who was a pioneer of the Modern Movement in Norway. Here we have the famous view down the western part of Karl Johan, toward the Royal Palace. We see the Parliament building (arch. Emil Victor Langlet 1866), and the central urban park Eidsvolls Plass. The old university (arch. Chr. Grosch 1854) and the Royal Palace (arch. H. D. F. Linstow 1849) complete the walk along Olso’s main street. The last project of the tour is Oslo City Hall (arch. Arneberg & Poulsson 1930-50), a “modern classic” which also resulted in a rebuilding of the whole city center in this area, opening up the town towards the waterfront. Inside visit in office hours (the city hall may be closed to visitors for special events).


Duration:      Ca. 4-4,5 hours, incl. coffee break, but not lunch
Transport:      Walking
Services:      Experienced local architect as guide, meet and greet at pick up point
Languages:      Scandinavian, English, German
Group size:      Max. 30 pax
Price:   Please contact us for a quote
Not included:   Consumption at café, entry fees (optional)

Booking City Center Historical Walk

One of our colleagues will get back in touch with you soon!

File size is too big!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Slide 1


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Slide 2


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Slide 3


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Slide 4


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Print Email

Share on Social Media

Cli­ent Feed­back

”Henning is very experienced.
The group was a group of people in real estate, construction and their partners. For each group member the tour was very interesting. The ones with the very special... Read More

”broad knowledge, interesting details, he had a very good German, we were totally happy”

«- varied tour/program - perfect
- perfectly organized
- details of buildings well explained
- additional explanations on the urban planning concept
- very interesting and informative days!!!... Read More

“Henning: Diane and I are flying home today. We want you to know how much we
enjoyed your tour of Oslo's architecture. It was the high point of our trip. The cultural and historical background you... Read More

“The rapid growth and the quality of Norwegian architecture was amazing for everyone. All of us enjoyed the tour very much and I am sure, Sto will come back to Oslo (or other places in Norway) in... Read More

“The tour of Oslo with Henning was really interesting, his explanations were clear and exhaustive and he also gave us very useful suggestions for the rest of our time in Oslo.”

“Henning was reliable as usual when organising the excursion. The high quality of his guiding and the relaxed atmosphere during the tour was as I knew it from past excursions, and made it that... Read More

“Great tour, very informative, Barbara did an excellent job.”

Get in touch

Guide-A architectural guiding in Norway

       Vestre Kanalgate 6, 1516 Moss - Norway
       +47 936 33 304
      +47 22 25 30 24

Follow us on Facebook